To the Gulf!
I moved. Actually, this took place back in July, but due to the fact that it didn't result in as noteworthy of an experience as I was expecting, I chose not to highlight the action. My new environs consist of the State of Kuwait. A dry (in both climate and liquor consumption) kind of place to be.
To be honest, after 2 years in Iraq, I was ready for the change. Ready for the freedom of movement, for the access to decent food, and for finally escaping the confines of group housing. What I was losing, unfortunately, were my R&Rs, and alcohol (did I mention that already?). We were to be given weekends off as well, but out of sheer boredom, I find myself pulled into the office day after day, week after week.
Kuwait does however, offer much to observe from a sociological perspective. An enormously wealthy group of Kuwaitis contrasted with a huge immigrant class. As a young, wealthy Kuwaiti, your biggest decision may possibly be which type of car you want - will it be the Porsche or the Lamborghini this year? Or perhaps the Aston Martin showcased in the mall? For sure there are more than enough Hummers to go around.
Those with a much less hermit lifestyle than me assure me that the Kuwaitis are in fact, lovely people, so I will have to take their word for it. They can be hard to find during the workday though unless you have regular dealings with the government, or the banking and oil industries. Otherwise...we're all foreigners here.
To be honest, after 2 years in Iraq, I was ready for the change. Ready for the freedom of movement, for the access to decent food, and for finally escaping the confines of group housing. What I was losing, unfortunately, were my R&Rs, and alcohol (did I mention that already?). We were to be given weekends off as well, but out of sheer boredom, I find myself pulled into the office day after day, week after week.
Kuwait does however, offer much to observe from a sociological perspective. An enormously wealthy group of Kuwaitis contrasted with a huge immigrant class. As a young, wealthy Kuwaiti, your biggest decision may possibly be which type of car you want - will it be the Porsche or the Lamborghini this year? Or perhaps the Aston Martin showcased in the mall? For sure there are more than enough Hummers to go around.
Those with a much less hermit lifestyle than me assure me that the Kuwaitis are in fact, lovely people, so I will have to take their word for it. They can be hard to find during the workday though unless you have regular dealings with the government, or the banking and oil industries. Otherwise...we're all foreigners here.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home