Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Procrastination

I have two reports due next week (one of which is huge), which are dominating my workload in addition to the multitude of small tasks that seem to arise every day. This of course means that I do absolutely everything I can to procrastinate. Today for example, I've made countless cups of tea, eaten multiple snacks, watched the news, took a walk to the store, read the articles about the Oscar nominees for movies I haven't seen, moisturized my hands about 15 times, brushed my teeth at least three times before 6 PM, and am now writing this post for my blog. I'm sure I can come up with something else to do after this as well. If only I were down in Kqin - I could at least play with the dogs there.

The huge report shouldn't even be that terrible. Mainly it consists of a lot of copying and pasting - however it's about 30 pages worth - and it will all need to be edited nicely together. I'm simply not feeling inspired, which I think has more to do with my tendency to wait until the last minute and less to do with my actual ability to sit down and write.

It was nice to wander around today and see signs of local involvement in the national elections. There are signs all over encouraging everyone to vote, and a bus plastered with signs drove by with speakers shouting out information about the elections. Of course, this is all a little speculative since I do not speak Kurdish. However, if the reality is as good as my imagination, we've got a very active populous indeed. I'm incredibly curious to find out what the level of turn-out is for a relatively secure place like Kurdistan in comparison with a place like Baghdad. Granted - Baghdad is part of the Sunni Triangle - and already has a mind to protest the candidacy of the dominant Shia majority.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home