Potash
I'm not sure how I've managed to get through 26 years of life without knowing what potash is, but I can thank Jordan for finally bringing about my enlightenment.
Just exactly how the average Jordanian earns their income has been a subject of much debate over the past few days. Given the high cost of living here in Amman (even for foreigners), we had to wonder just how people could afford the expensive shops and restaurants. Well, it's all in the potash, which is - for anyone more ignorant than me - fertilizer. There even happens to be a potash company near the HoJo that we walk by every day on the way to the internet cafe.
Last night's dinner extravaganza took us to a mexican restaurant at the InterContinental Hotel, which is a stark contrast to the HoJo. Very, very posh. The setting was lovely, but I don't think that enchiladas are supposed to be as hot (as in spicy hot) as the ones they served me last night. I think the only other food I've had that equaled that spice level is the chicken vindaloo I had in England seven years ago. It's really a pity too, because aside from the HOT red peppers in it, the dish was quite good. The $7 Corona was good as well (despite its price). To add to the atmosphere, a high-profile Jordanian wedding reception started as we were finishing our meal. The bride and groom made their way down this outdoor staircase while really loud music accompanied their descent, and subsequent walk around the pool. Everyone was in black tie attire and you could tell that some serious money had been poured into this reception. Maybe it's from the potash.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home