Saturday, November 20, 2004

Still Alive

I know it's been a long time since I gave any real update - so I'll dash off a quick one while I have a moment.

I'm finally back in Suli after a nice long month in Kqin. Despite being "based" in Suli, I haven't spent more than two nights here since Oct. 2nd. It's actually been lovely to partake in the home-cooked food, the chances for walks through the countryside, and the satellite TV opportunities down there. Now the expats have converged upon Suli to host a summit meeting for several of our national staff from down South - an opportunity that doesn't come up very often due to the insecurity down in the region and on the roads.

Contrary to what everyone might see on TV though - the situation up here in Kurdistan is relatively calm. There is a very strong push from the Kurds to keep the violence from their region and they will do whatever it takes to protect the area. This is not a guarantee of safety by any means, but it really gives one the feeling of being okay out here - at least for the time being. Our country director is very rigid on security though - so threats are taken seriously.

2 Comments:

At November 22, 2004 at 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

S,

Good to hear you're still there! I heard your CEO on NPR this weekend and it sounds like MC is one of the few organizations left in Iraq. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well, learning a lot and are feeling somewhat safe considering the circumstances. When's the next R&R? Hopefully you'll get a chance to go somewhere fun.

Keep us all updated, we're thinking about you!

Suz

 
At November 24, 2004 at 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know you're reasonably safe.....but where is this puppy of which you speak? Were you just leading me on? ;)

-Anonymous Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home