Friday, September 03, 2004

I could get used to this

I suppose it might be different if I lived right next to a mosque and found myself being woken up by the noise - but I have to say I find the call to prayer to be exceptionally beautiful - almost haunting. It reminds me that I’m actually in the Middle East, because quite frankly, it’s easy to forget that here in northern Iraq. Women wear pretty much whatever they please, and I’ve only seen a few that are in traditional Muslim clothing. Everyone is speaking Kurdish, and much of the younger generation doesn’t even speak Arabic. When I watch news stories about Iraq, it still feels like these events are happening in an entirely different country. Although my ability to make a comparison is essentially nil (having only been to the Istanbul airport), I’m probably not going too far out on a limb by saying that Kurdistan is far more like Turkey than Iraq. They’ve really got their own thing going on up here.

Aside from being left alone for part of the time, it’s basically a very nice set-up I have here in Sule. I have my own room, from which it is a mere 10 second walk down to my computer in the morning. The national staff here are incredibly nice and helpful, and most importantly - are willing to put up with me asking about various Kurdish phrases. The house/office has a living room with a TV and DVD player, and there’s a kitchen to use if I ever conjured up the desire to cook. There’s even an office “cleaner” who, in addition to actual cleaning, makes a mean cappuccino as well.

Living in one’s office does have its drawbacks though. No wandering around in my pajamas after 7:30 AM or I’m likely to encounter the guards hanging out in the kitchen. Also, I have to get used to random people walking in and out at all hours of the day. Then there are the bugs. I about had a heart attack the other day when I spotted the largest cockroach I have ever seen on the back of the bathroom door. I wish that I could say that I simply let it be, or that I managed to kill it myself. Nope, I begged my co-worker to get rid of it for me. My sense of bravery extends only so far, and I’m afraid that bugs and snakes fall into the category of fears I have not been able to overcome.

All in all though –it’s a pretty nice situation, considering that I expected much harsher conditions. I shouldn’t get used to it though, because next week I’m likely headed down to Khanaqin for a few days, and if south central ever opens up again, well…time to break out the headscarves.

1 Comments:

At September 8, 2004 at 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck trekking out from your Sule office enviro. Keep careful watch over the bugs. Before you put your clothes on or your shoes, just check them out to see if anything stayed the night in there. I know in my adventures staying out in the desert and the mountains, that this has atleast kept me from getting the ants in your pants feeling. And, it is always a good idea to check your bed too. You don't want to wakeup the next day wondering what bit you.

The pictures of the "mountains" are similar to what I have observed in desert areas in the US. The lack of soil and limited precipitation are pretty obvious from the photos. The vegetation looks like their survival setting is fixed on "Permanent Drought Stress." So, I'm sure you are having no problem reminding yourself to drink lots of water!!!

Keep the narrative coming. It is much more captivating than my journal article writing.

~Casey

P.S.- If you get a chance to take pictures of a couple of plants and of the soil surface upclose, I would like to see them. Yep, I'm a science nerd!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home